June 15, 2017 – Updated drawings for Brooklyn Row House 1 are here. Photos of the finished project coming soon!
February 3, 2017 – Brooklyn Row House is a featured in a story on Dwell. See here.
January 26, 2017 – A story on the Watermill House on Wallpaper.com. See here.
December 8, 2016 – Final images of the Watermill House are here.
September 14, 2016 – Watermill House is nearly complete and the owners have moved in. Final images coming soon!
April 1, 2016 – Brooklyn Row House 1 begins construction! Completion is scheduled for late fall of 2016.
February 24, 2016 – OA’s OA’s Honorable Mention entry in the Axis Civitas competition is exhibited at Site:Brooklyn gallery in Gowanus, along with other winners. See details on our entry here.
Office of Architecture (OA) was established in 2012 on the premise that great spaces require the artful orchestration of vision and logistics; that ingenuity can emerge from the limits set by the hard realities of a problem; and that imagination need not belie common sense. OA engages each project with the design sensibility to envision the big idea and the professional savvy to realize its potential.
Since founding Office of Architecture in 2012, Aniket has overseen the design and execution of a variety of projects – both commissioned and speculative – that have been featured in diverse print and online publications and exhibits including Architectural Record, Dwell, ArchDaily and Storefront for Art and Architecture. Born in India, raised in the U.S., and trained as an architect in Paris, Barcelona, and New York City, Aniket brings to his work a rich set of experiences and an ability to artfully engage diverse groups of people and projects. Prior to establishing OA, Aniket trained in the offices of notable architects Enric Miralles/Benedetta Tagliabue and Joel Sanders as Designer and Project Architect on several award-winning works. He is a licensed architect in New York.
In addition to practice, Aniket is actively involved in architectural education. He currently teaches architecture studios as a Critic in the M.Arch I and M.Arch II programs at the Yale School of Architecture and is a regular invited juror on architecture reviews at Yale University, Columbia University, NYIT, Parsons, Washington University, and the California College of Arts.
Aniket received his Bachelor of Architecture at the University of Texas at Austin and a Master of Architecture from Yale University, where he was awarded the Edward Parsons Medal.
Current / Past Team Members: Joshua Eager, Ivan Kostic, Eddie Simpson, Valentin Bansac, Stephen Maher, Tristan Walker, Brendan Pettersen
Office of Architecture
612 degraw st. no. 2
brooklyn ny 11217
When we were approached by our clients to gut renovate and add to a 110 year old, 15′ wide row house, our goal was to create a home that could adapt to change over time. The building is designed to oscillate easily between a two-family and one-family configuration, giving the owners the ability to gradually grow into and out of the house as needed. 70% of the building can be used as a 2 bedroom / 2 bath unit, while the remaining 30% of the building is given over to a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath unit. Depending on their priorities at any given time, the owners have the option to occupy one of the units themselves, while using the other for rental income. It also gives the owners the ability to combine both units to create a 2100SF one-family home for themselves simply by removing a small demising wall on the second floor and demolishing the rental kitchen – a job that can be executed over the course of a long weekend.
Elegant material choices, subtle detailing, and thoughtful spatial sensibilities belie the building’s intelligent space planning. Careful placement of bathrooms and kitchens, along with the integration of a second stair (highly unusual for a row-house this size) enable the architecture to accommodate its owners as their needs evolve from that of a young couple to a family of four to empty nesters. In doing so, the building becomes much more an active participant in the life of its inhabitants – always ready to anticipate and absorb change.
Architect: Office of Architecture; Team: Aniket Shahane, Ivan Kostic, Brendan Pettersen, Tristan Walker, Valentin Bansac
MEP Engineer: Kam Chiu Associates, Inc.
Structural Engineer: Stratford Engineering
Expeditor: Sol Building Consultants
Contractor: Agneone Construction
Photography: Ben Anderson Photo (‘After’ Photos); Aniket Shahane (‘Before’ Photos)
Publications: Multiple blogs including Archdaily, Dwell, Architectural Record, Contemporist, BLTD